What is DMCA?
The Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) is a controversial United States digital rights management which was signed into law on October 28, 1998, specifically to protect online content copyright.
How do I add a DMCA Protection Badge to my Website
- Register to – Website Badge registration. The complete list of protected pages will be shown. Protected Pages are all your website pages that have the DMCA Protected badge on them.
- Once registered – log into the DMCA Protection Portal.
- Go to “My Protected Pages” and
- click “Add New Page(s) to My Protection Plan“
- Pick a Badge you like, Note: if you do not pick the badge code when you are logged into the Protection Portal none of the pages your badge choice is placed on will be indexed to your dmca.com Protection account.
- copy the embed code and paste it either in the footer of your website (to protect all pages with that footer), or on certain pages you want protected.
- Badge codes embed best practices: Every page that contains a DMCA Protection Badge will be automatically added to your protected pages list.
- make certain the DMCA.com code is “viewable” within the source code of your webpage
- Do not remove the GUID or Unique alphanumeric tracking and status page code.
- Do not remove the status page link. Better users see your protection status than the dmca.com home page.
- Make certain the webpage(s) you are placing the badge on is free of validation errors. Check your webpage through a markup validation service
- Get Verified Status by far the best option for your website is to have a fully verified website certificate and status page. The website certificate and status page is connected to your Protection Badge.
- New web pages with the DMCA Protection Badge are detected instantly and generally appear in the secure DMCA Protection Portal Protected Pages list within 24 hours after placing the DMCA Protection Badge on your webpage.
- Placing the DMCA.com Protection Badge on your webpage triggers the DMCA.com crawling / indexing systems to come check your page as it is requested.