What is SEO?
Search engine optimization or SEO, is a set of rules that can be followed by web site (or blog) to optimize their web sites for search engines and thus improves the rankings or in other words SEO refers to the methods that increase the website/blog position in the search engines rank pages of Google, Bing or Yahoo.
SEO can also be considered as a framework since the whole process has a number of rules (or guidelines), a number of stages and a set of controls.
Why is SEO important?
Search engines serve millions of users per day looking for answers to their questions or for solutions to their problems.
SEO is important because:
- Search Engine provides unbiased results that deliver information you are looking for as quickly and as accurately as possible.
- SEO is not only about search engines but good SEO practices improve the user experience and usability of a web site.
- SEO is good for the social promotion for the web site. People who find web site by searching Google or Yahoo are more likely to promote it on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or other social media channels.
- SEO can put you ahead of the competition. If two web sites are selling the same thing, the search engine optimized web site is more likely to have more customers and make more sales.
Boost Website Ranking on Search Engines
Components such as H1 tags, the words used in your website meta description, content and keyword density, and backlinks are some of many things that you can leverage to boost your ranking.
Quick overview of these components and how they relate to search engines
- H1 Tags: These are the headers you use to title your content. For example, the H1 for this article would be the title, ‘What is SEO and why is it important?’. This article page may surface on the google search results when someone searches for keywords that are present in the H1 tag like ‘SEO’ and ‘business’. Make sure your H1 tags are relevant to the keywords you want to be showing up for.
- Keyword Density: This is the amount of times that the keyword your audience is searching for appear on your website. Make sure to mention your keywords, not only in your H1 tags, but also in the body of your content. While you want to include your your keywords often, don’t oversaturate your content. Remember, Google will also consider the use of synonymous keywords.
- Meta Description: This is the description you provide search engines in your <meta> html tags. The meta description you use for your website should also include the keywords you want your target audience to search for.
- Backlinks: This is when other websites link back to yours by providing their viewer ship with your website URL. For example, if Forbes mentions your business on their website and includes a link for their readers that leads back to your website, this would be considered a backlink. The more of these you have, the better your opportunities are to be higher ranked in your keywords.
To sum it up, SEO is a way to optimize your web site so that search engines will understand it better and give you higher rankings.